Sunday 24 July 2011

Bodge

As the weekend so far has been pretty eventless, I thought I'd talk a little bit about my latest photographic acquisition: a second hand Sunagor FD fit 75 - 300mm Telephoto Zoom lens. The eBay advert told me that it was in perfect working order and it was only a tenner! Bargain, I thought, until it turned up and it quickly became obvious that the aperture was completely stuck. Being someone who likes to fiddle with and try and fix things (a.k.a. a bit of a numpty), I decided not to send it back straight away but instead to get the watchmaker's screwdrivers out and rip it to pieces.


After several frustrating days of carefully learning where everything should go, I finally got the aperture blades cleaned and the mechanism linked up. I managed to lose a few pieces along the way, so the lens will only work in automatic aperture selection mode but I reckon that's better than nothing! I haven't seen any of the photos taken with it yet, so keep your fingers crossed that they're okay...

One thing I have done this weekend is download and install the new Apple operating system. It looks nice and I like the full screen idea, but it doesn't seem hugely different to the previous one. Then again, getting an entire operating system for just over £20 isn't unreasonable, so I'm not too concerned.

Worth it? Probably
And finally, all that's left to do is enjoy a Sunday afternoon full of motorsport - German F1 Grand Prix at 1pm and MotoGP in the USA late in the evening. Come on Simoncelli! And let's hope Cal sees the end of the race from behind his helmet visor this time out...

EDIT: After urging on Marco Simoncelli and Cal Crutchlow for the 2011 Laguna Seca MotoGP, guess who were the first two retirements of the race! Clearly, I have considerable jinxing powers...


music credits: Bad Things by Jace Everett, Shine A Light by Jacob Golden, Forever Lost by The Magic Numbers

No comments:

Post a Comment